Table of Contents
Causes of Toothache
Toothache can occur due to a variety of reasons. Here are some of the most common causes of toothache:
- Tooth Decay: One of the most common causes of toothache is tooth decay. When bacteria in your mouth break down sugars and starches, they produce acid that can eat away the enamel on your teeth, causing cavities. If left untreated, cavities can spread further into the tooth, infecting the nerves,leading to toothache.
- Gum Disease: Gum disease is another common cause of toothache. When plaque and tartar build up on your teeth, they can irritate your gums, leading to inflammation and infection. This can cause toothache, especially when the infection spreads to the root of your tooth.
- Tooth Sensitivity: If you experience a sharp pain when you eat or drink hot or cold foods, you may have tooth sensitivity. This can occur when the protective layer of enamel on your teeth wears away, exposing the sensitive dentin underneath.
- Tooth Fracture: A tooth fracture can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as trauma or biting down on hard objects. This can cause toothache, especially if the fracture extends to the nerve of the tooth.
Symptoms of Toothache
Toothache can manifest in different ways, depending on the underlying cause. Here are some of the most common symptoms of toothache:
- Pain: The most obvious symptom of toothache is pain. The pain can range from mild to severe and can be constant or intermittent. It can also be sharp or dull, depending on the underlying cause.
- Sensitivity: If you experience sensitivity when you eat or drink hot or cold foods, you may have tooth sensitivity.
- Swelling: Swelling in your gums or face can occur when the infection spreads beyond your tooth.
- Headache: Toothache can sometimes cause a headache, especially if the pain is severe.
If you are experiencing toothache, it can be quite distressing, and it’s important to consult a dentist to understand the underlying causes, symptoms, and treatment options available.
Family Dentist in Browns Plains
This family dentist in Browns Plains also provides a full range of dental services including root canal treatment, fillings, extraction of teeth, cleaning and polishing, dental implants, dentures, veneers, crowns and bridges, tooth whitening, custom fitted mouth guards, as well as preventive dentistry for children.
Call us to schedule your comprehensive dental exam now at +61 434 921 570.