What is burning mouth syndrome? It’s a chronic or recurring condition causing a burning sensation in the mouth. The burning can occur on lips, tongue, palate, throat, and cheek area. It can become so intense that it feels as if you’ve actually scalded your mouth. This syndrome is also sometimes called stomatodynia or glossodynia.
Is your mouth burning suddenly? You haven’t eaten any spicy food and yet, your mouth feels on fire. Burning mouth syndrome could be a possible cause of that sensation in your mouth.
Some of the causes of burning mouth syndrome include:
In addition to the burning sensation, there may be other issues that occasionally accompany burning mouth syndrome, such as:
- Dry mouth (xerostomia)
- Sore mouth
- Tingling sensation in the mouth
- Numbness in the mouth or tongue
Burning mouth syndrome – what are the possible causes?
According to the American Dental Association and the Mayo Clinic, it has been linked to multiple conditions — most of which require a medical diagnosis to confirm:
- Menopause or hormonal changes
- Peripheral nervous system problems
- Central nervous system problems
- Xerostomia, or dry mouth
- Oral issues (tongue thrusting, grinding of teeth)
- Oral thrush (Fungal infection of the mouth)
- Acid reflux
- Geographic tongue
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Ill-fitting dentures
- Anxiety and stress
Please visit your dentist or physician for an examination and oral evaluation because they will help determine the causes and diagnosis. Above all, medical testing includes blood tests, salivary measurements to confirm if you have a reduced saliva flow, biopsy in the oral cavity, allergy testing, and radiographic imaging.
For short-term relief:
- First of all, replace acidic foods and drinks from your diet with mild or alkaline foods such as bananas, raisins, dried apricots, dairy products, and potatoes. Keep some cool water on hand for instant relief.
- Also try to use products designed for sensitive teeth to keep teeth and gums clean during an outbreak.
- Don’t use a mouthwash during this period unless you find one designed to alleviate the symptoms of dry mouth.
Call us to schedule your comprehensive dental exam now at +61 434 921 570. Also, remember this gap free dentist in Browns Plains bulk bills, and has a special interest in wisdom teeth removal and dental implants.